January 23, 2012

PHOTOGRAPHY

My hobby is photography. I don't take a whole lot of pictures, though. That's because I'm busy and I don't have any time to take pictures. But if anyone asks me what my hobby is, I can't think of what to say, and so I just say what everyone else says: Photography. But then, I actually sat down and thought about it for awhile, like almost 30 seconds, and I really couldn't think of anything! So I just decided, yep, photography must be my hobby after all. That felt good because then I realized that all those times I thought I was lying when people asked me what my hobby was, I was actually telling the truth. But it also was bad because I realized that I had to make a portfolio if I wanted to be a "REAL" photographer.

I'm building that portfolio right now. It is, indeed, a long and arduous process. Here are some of the pictures that are likely to find their way into it.

This is a photograph of my best friend, K. K. Zifmer. I was able to get such a high resolution by gripping the camera tightly and very gently pressing the button that takes the picture, so as not to shake the camera. K.K.'s reaction to me running at him with my camera thrust out at him was not staged in any way.

This is my cat, Tikky. It took like 3 HOURS to get the photo I wanted here, but I finally did it. If there's one thing I think I know how to do in photography, it's to have patience so that I can get the "right" shot. I would consider this a "perfect" photo if not for all the junk in the background--the window, the railing, the photos, and the stuff on the couch behind the cat. Oh well, though, I can just edit that stuff out in Photoshop at some point.

This is a picture of my apartment. I don't live in this apartment any more. All of those books are my roommate's. We had to move out of this apartment. This picture is kind of emotional for me, tbh*. Let's move on to the next photograph.
*tbh = truthfully be-having

Now THIS is my bread and butter! This is exactly the kind of shot I'm good at. When stuff in the frame is moving around, or when I'm moving, I have a hard time getting good shots. I have a REALLY hard time holding still. But for this picture I had K.K. hold the camera for me, and also press the button for me. And  as you can tell, it turned out GREAT. This is probably my best shot. It'll be good.
Photo Credits: K.K. Zifmer

This is sort of a pastoral shot. I was really excited when it snowed because of the photo opportunities. I practically ran out of my house when I saw the snow! (Actually, I DID run.) I then braved the weather and trekked several miles through snow and slush to find this location. I could have driven, but I felt like that would have detracted from the experience. It's as if I needed to take that walk, to improve myself not only as a photographer, but as an artist.

It may not look like it, but this was a pretty difficult shot. I had to wait around for quite a while to get the right light. I eventually got impatient, because it was still four hours until sunrise and I wanted to get the photoshoot done, so I went upstairs and turned on the light. (You may notice that part of this subject is the same as that of photo #2, "Cat In Rest". I feel as if showing two photos of nearly the exact same place gives one an idea of my range.)

That's all for now! I don't want to use up ALL of the photos for that portfolio! (There's 12 of them.) If you're an employer who's looking to hire a photographer, I was hoping to get my portfolio done in time, but if you like what you se,e I guess we could say this is my de facto portfolio and you can just hire me right now.

And before you ask, I work for EXTREMELY cheap--less than 15 dollars an hour (plus a commission for each photo).

No comments:

Post a Comment