February 11, 2012

GRAPHS

This is going to blow your mind.

A basic graph showing the 
increase in world population
Have you ever wondered what the difference between charts and graphs is? I have. I didn't use to wonder that very much, but in the last five minutes it's been really bugging me. I used to always call things "graphs". I'd just look at anything, like any random thing, and call it a graph. Well, guess what, I'm finally fed up with being wrong all of the time. That's why I did a little research.

First I went to the library, but they didn't have any good books on either charts OR graphs. Instead, I decided to one-up the research idea and do my very own study!

From a simple Ask Jeeves image search, I found these two images:



Now here's the challenge part. One of these displays is a chart, and one is a graph. Can you guess which?

(Answer: the one on the LEFT is a GRAPH, and the one on the RIGHT is a CHART.)

How are you supposed to tell what the difference is? Well, thanks to these images, we can break it down:

If it's a graph:
-The bars are grey
-The arrow is a bright red
-The right end of the display is turned only slightly towards the viewer
-The display is shiny
-The floor that the display is resting on is reflective (and also shiny)
-It seems to make sense
-It inspires confidence
-The arrowhead has kind of an ugly gray spot on the right side of the point of the arrow


A pretty  standard "eye graph". If your boy can't read this, he probably needs glasses.

In the unlikely case that it's a chart, it has:
-Blue bars
-A darker red arrow
-Right side of display is more severely canted towards the viewer
-A less shiny quality to it all
-No discoloration on the arrowhead; in fact, the graphic is quite nicely done
(It probably isn't a chart)

A graph telling you which cats are prettier
Now let's test these qualifications. When I open my blog homepage, it gives me an image that illustrates my recent views (Seen below. It is NOT the image on the left - ignore that image). Let's look at this triumphant display of my views and try to determine whether it's a chart or a graph. (Make sure you write down your answer on a piece of paper and give it to somebody else so they can make sure you didn't cheat!)

(Edit: The image is not supposed to be yellow, I do not know how this happened)

Graph or chart?
Easy question! After going through the checklist, we know that this image is a graph!

A typical chart
If you look around, it's obvious that graphs are the more common of the two. If you're not sure whether something is a graph or a chart, it's often safe to assume that it's a graph. It's not like it's going to matter. Unless it's on a test; then it's probably a chart, because they're trying to trick you - they're assuming you'll want to guess that it's a graph.

Remember, however, that charts are generally more confusing and difficult to read than graphs (see right).

If you want the pamphlet version of this blog post, let me know, I can print it out and send it to you, completely free of charge (I make money from it because it's full of ads)

No comments:

Post a Comment