March 23, 2012

MARCH MADNESS

College basketball is my favorite sport. And March Madness, man, don'T even get me started. IT'S THE GREATEST! I haven't had time to watch a single game this year, but I'm still excited about all the goings-on.

I've yet to watch yesterday's games (of which there were four), nor do I know the outcomes, but these are my picks:

WISCONSIN over Syracuse.
This is my upset pick of the day. Wisconsin is one of the greatest, most underrated teams in basketball history. Just when you think they're going to pass it to the left perimeter, they're going to pass it to the right perimeter. Then they fake a pass inside, and then the shot clock runs down to five and so they pass inside. Then the guy inside has nowhere to go so he passes outside and that guy takes a shot. Or, if he still has a little time, they make ONE MORE pass and then they score the bucket. This strategy has baffled defenses all year. Syracuse, on the other hand, is SO overrated. All the media wants to talk about is those East Coast teams. That means the teams in the East are overrated. Thus, they will all lose to the teams in the West!

MICHIGAN STATE over Louisville.
I haven't seen either of these teams play, this season or any other, but Michigan State has won two straight NCAA tournament games. These NCAA tournaments have a lot of good teams in them, and to beat two of them in a row, you have to have a lot of skills. I don't think Louisville will have any chance of matching that kind of skill. Michigan State will roll.

CINCINNATI over Ohio State
This is a classic in-state rivalry. These teams have played each other countless times over the years, but never in men's basketball. Nevertheless, the players will undoubtedly be channeling the rage and competitiveness of their ancestors from long ago - those great men who played against each other as members of the 1928 Cincinnati Bearcats or the 1928 Ohio State ???s. The score of that game was 3-0. I expect a more high-scoring affair; I'm saying 101-95. Cincinnati looked very tough in their on-court brawl against Xavier earlier this year, even though they lost the game by nearly 30 points. Expect the Bearcats to prevail!

MARQUETTE over Florida

This one's a no-brainer. I didn't even have to think about it, because Marquette is a THREE SEED, people. Florida is only a seven seed. Do you really think a seven seed can beat a three seed? I don't know very much, but as far as I do know, that has NEVER happened. Florida is a pathetic team. Last year, they couldn't even beat Jimmer-led BYU in regulation; this year, they only got this far after a couple nail-biters against two of the worst teams in basketball. Expect Marquette (whom I know nothing about) to destroy this joke of a team.

That's all I've got for you for this month. Check back in another month when the NFL season starts or something.


No comments:

Post a Comment